See Also: The Miracle Vitamin – Vitamin D
Upgrade Your Health With High-Dose Vitamin C Therapy
By Christiane Northrup, M.D.
I rarely devote and entire blog to a single therapy. And when it comes to treating symptoms, I have never believed in magic bullets. But, if anything comes close, it’s good old vitamin C.
Vitamin C (ascorbic acid) is a water-soluble vitamin that your body needs but does not produce on its own. It is instrumental in many of your body’s processes and can also help your body prevent and heal from infections.
Here is a brief history of vitamin C and it’s uses during the past century:
• Ascorbic acid was discovered in 1930 by Albert Szent-Györgyi who showed that it enabled the body to efficiently use carbohydrates, fats, and protein.
• In 1935 Claus Washington Jungeblut, M.D. discovered that vitamin C was both prevention and a cure for polio, as well as hepatitis and herpes viruses. Between1935-1937 he showed that vitamin C could also neutralize other toxins, including tetanus, diphtheria, and staph.
• In 1944, the Vitamin C Depletion Study was conducted to determine the minimal amount of vitamin C necessary to prevent scurvy. Food shortages caused by the war made foods rich in vitamin C hard to come by. During the study, the researchers depleted the subjects’ vitamin C levels, which created life-threatening emergencies.
• In 1949 Fred R. Klenner, M.D. reported that he had successfully treated 60 polio patients by injecting large doses of vitamin C. All patients received 1,000-2,000 mg intravenous vitamin C every 2 to 4 hours depending on age for 24 hours, after which their fevers consistently went down. For the next 48 hours, the vitamin C injections were given every 6 hours. All patients were clinically well after 72 hours.
• Klenner also reported that he successfully used high-dose vitamin C to treat diphtheria, herpes zoster, herpes simplex, chicken pox, influenza, measles, mumps, viral pneumonia, multiple sclerosis, tetanus, heavy metal toxicity, carbon monoxide poisoning, black widow spider and moccasin snake bites, pesticide burns, and much more.
• In the 1950s, William J. McCormick proposed vitamin C as a candidate for the treatment of cancer.
• In 1970 the chemist Linus Pauling reported that vitamin C was both preventive and therapeutic for the common cold and published a book entitled Vitamin C and The Common Cold, which became a best-seller. At that time, Pauling was considered the foremost authority on vitamin C. He even stated that vitamin C supplementation could decrease the risk of getting certain cancers by 75%.
• In 1975 Hugh Riordan, M.D., a leading authority on nutrition and medicine, founded The Center for the Improvement of Human Functioning International Inc. (now the Riordan Clinic). He was most notably regarded for creating the Riordan Protocol for using mega doses of intravenous vitamin C (50 grams and higher) and reporting the positive effects vitamin C has on many chronic illnesses, including cancer and Epstein Barr virus. He authored more than 79 peer reviewed medical journal articles and papers and wrote 4 books. I had the pleasure of working with Dr Riordan when we both served on the board of the American Holistic Medical Association.
• In 1984, Robert Cathcart, M.D. noted that a patient’s bowel tolerance to oral ascorbic acid increased considerably in proportion to the “toxicity” of their illness.
• On January 26, 2020, Andrew Saul, Ph.D., named one of Psychology Today’s 7 natural health pioneers and Editor of Basic Health Publications’ popular Vitamin Cure book series, sends press release through his Orthomolecular Medicine News website stating that the coronavirus pandemic can be dramatically slowed or stopped with immediate widespread use of high doses of vitamin C.
12 Ways Vitamin C Supports Your Health
Vitamin C is essential to many of your body’s processes.
1. Builds collagen. It is necessary for collagen synthesis which is important for healing bones, tendons, and ligaments after injury, as well as healing scar tissue and wounds.
2. Keeps your teeth healthy. Vitamin C is also important for maintaining healthy teeth and gums.
3. Reduces free radical damage. An antioxidant, vitamin C helps protect your cells against free radical damage, which means vitamin C is protective when it comes to the many chronic health problems caused by free radical damage, such as cardiovascular disease, inflammatory conditions, and even cancer.
4. Lowers cholesterol and blood pressure. Vitamin C helps reduce LDL cholesterol and triglycerides and lowers high blood pressure.
5. Supports endothelial cells. Vitamin C helps preventing endothelial dysfunction, the earliest sign of atherosclerosis.
6. Helps your body absorb nutrients. Vitamin C promotes calcium and iron absorption and helps your body store iron.
7. Supports healthy immune function. Vitamin C has been noted to play a major role in preventing and treating the common cold as well as other viral and bacterial infections by enhancing processes that kill unwanted microbes, supporting apoptosis, and enhancing differentiation and proliferation of B- and T-cells (possibly due to gene regulating effects).
8. Keeps your gut microbiome healthy: High-dose vitamin C supplementation for 2 weeks showed microbiota-modulating effects in healthy individuals. The shifts of bacterial populations seen showed more beneficial bacteria with anti-inflammatory properties that are strongly associated with gut health.
9. Improves metabolic syndrome. Higher vitamin C intake can halt a potentially deadly cycle of antioxidant disruption and health-related problems common in metabolic syndrome Dr. Saul also suggests that high-dose vitamin C may help curb appetite and food cravings.
10. Relieves pain caused by gout. Gout is a painful arthritic condition caused by too much uric acid in the blood. When there is too much uric acid, it can crystallize and deposit in the joints. Higher intake of vitamin C is significantly associated with lower serum uric acid concentrations.
11. May help you quit smoking. One study that Dr. Saul discusses showed that vitamin C spray helped smokers quit smoking without turning to food to replace their cravings and thus not gaining weight!
12. Reduces vaccination side-effects. Vitamin C is a potent anti-toxin. In his paper Vitamin C Prevents Vaccination Side Effects; Increases Effectiveness board-certified cardiologist, attorney and author, Thomas E Levy, M.D., J.D.’s discusses the historical data and studies showing that vitamin C reduces (even eliminates) harmful side effects cause by toxins in vaccines, including mercury and thimerosal. In addition, he discusses the use of vitamin C to increase vaccine effectiveness. He also gives details regarding dosing of vitamin C for different ages and concludes that vitamin C should be part of every vaccination protocol.
My Vitamin “See” Experience
A number of years ago I was going blind in my left eye from infectious crystalline keratopathy. I was being treated by the head of the corneal unit at the Massachusetts Eye Infirmary in Boston. But the antibiotics were not working, and my vision was getting worse with each passing day.
Fortunately, I had heard Dr. Cathcart speak at one of our medical meetings. And I remembered his recommendation to take enough vitamin C to saturate the tissues (which is when stools get loose). So, I did. I started taking handfuls of 1000mg ascorbic acid capsules.
This completely reversed the condition. The next morning, I woke up and my vision was clear. Nothing like good old vitamin SEE!
How Much Vitamin C Do You Need?
It can be difficult to find information regarding supplements and dosing these days. Nearly a century of reports and laboratory and clinical studies showing the successful use of high-dose vitamin C therapy is not just being ignored. Much of the medical literature regarding vitamin C and other natural therapies is being censored, contradicted, buried by search engines, and even expunge—especially information regarding the established use of vitamin C in preventing and treating respiratory infections.
Why is the clinical information showing the benefits of vitamin C and other nutrients in treating viral respiratory infections being ignored by the medical journals, the media, and the government during a pandemic? For one thing, the medical journals are funded by Big Pharma. And Big Pharma can’t make any money off vitamin C since it’s illegal to patent something that is found in nature.
So, here’s what I want you to know: When it comes to supplementing with vitamin C, you can’t go wrong. There is no harm in it. Vitamin C is not toxic and cannot build up in your body. It is excreted in your urine. And if you take too much you will have some diarrhea, so then you just take less. However, your body can adapt to higher levels of supplementation over a short period of time. So, once you reduce your intake of vitamin C to bowel tolerance, you can try increasing the amount slowly.
If you are healthy and looking to simply support your body with vitamin C, you can start by taking 100-200 mg/day. This can be enough to support your tissues and prevent infection. Taking more can enhance the benefits.
If you are treating an infection, you need to take a significantly higher amount—I’m talking 1gram or more. Again, you want to take it to bowel tolerance. But, remember that when you are sick, your bowel tolerance typically increases in proportion to the toxicity your body is experiencing.
When you are taking larger doses orally, it’s best to spread your doses throughout the day and have a buffer for your stomach. Water is fine if you are unable to eat something every time you take a dose.
There are so many more health benefits of vitamin C supplementation that I have not mentioned here. If you want to research using vitamin C for a specific concern, a good place to start is Dr. Saul’s website and the Orthomolecular Medicine News Service, for which he is the editor.
Are you taking vitamin C?
Andrew Saul – High Dose Vitamin C Therapy For Major Diseases
“Vitamin C (ascorbate, ascorbic acid) has varying activity in the body at varying levels of intake. At low levels of consumption, vitamin C is like a trace nutrient: you need very little of it to stay alive, but without any at all you die. Even a few milligrams a day will suffice to preserve life. At moderate levels of consumption, say 500 to 1,500 mg per day for an adult, the vitamin works to build health in a positive sense. Statistically, fewer colds will be reported; incidence, severity and duration of influenza will be less. But it is at high levels, say 8,000 to 40,000 mg per day for an adult, that we begin to obtain therapeutic properties for the vitamin.
“At the proper (high) level, vitamin C has antihistamine, antitoxin, antibiotic, antipyretic (fever-lowering) and antiviral properties . . . QUANTITY, FREQUENCY and DURATION are the keys to effective orthomolecular use of vitamin C. So many people hold a philosophical viewpoint such as ‘I shouldn’t have to take so much of a vitamin.’ That’s certainly true; you do not have to . . . But what we are interested in is results. High doses of vitamin C get those results as well or better than any broad-spectrum drug on the market.
“The safety of vitamin C is extraordinary. There is not one case of vitamin C toxicity anywhere in the world’s medical literature. There is not one case of vitamin C-caused kidney stone ever proven, and I have been on the lookout for one for over 40 years. Indeed, vitamin C has been used to prevent and cure the formation of kidney stones since William J. McCormick, M.D. used it in 1946 . . . Daily doses of over 120,000 mg have been used with safety by medical doctors, and guinea pigs have been given the human daily dose equivalent of 500,000 mg without harm. The major side effect of vitamin C overload is an unmistakable several-times-an-hour loose stool. This, or excessive flatulence, indicates absolute saturation, and the daily dose is then dropped to the highest amount that will not bring about loose stool. That is a THERAPEUTIC level. Frederick R. Klenner, M.D. of North Carolina has seen cures of diphtheria, staph and strep infections, herpes, mumps, spinal meningitis, mononucleosis, shock, viral hepatitis, arthritis and polio using high doses of vitamin C. Dr. Klenner says: ‘Ascorbic acid is the safest and the most valuable substance available to the physician’ and ‘If you want results, use adequate ascorbic acid.’ ”
Notes On Orthomolecular (Megavitamin) Use of Vitamin C
Andrew Saul, PhD
Vitamin C (ascorbate, ascorbic acid) has varying activity in the body at varying levels of intake. At low levels of consumption, vitamin C is like a trace nutrient: you need very little of it to stay alive, but without any at all you die. Even a few milligrams a day will suffice to preserve life. At moderate levels of consumption, say 500 to 1,500 mg per day for an adult, the vitamin works to build health in a positive sense. Statistically, fewer colds will be reported; incidence, severity and duration of influenza will be less. (Stone, The Healing Factor, 1972 and Pauling, Vitamin C, the Common Cold and the Flu, 1976). But it is at high levels, say 8,000 to 40,000 mg per day for an adult, that we begin to obtain therapeutic properties for the vitamin.
At the proper (high) level, vitamin C has antihistamine, antitoxin, antibiotic, antipyretic (fever-lowering) and antiviral properties. The pharmacological effects of a vitamin at high concentration do not disqualify our continuing to call it, and think of it, as a vitamin. Money still buys things even if you have a lot of it; its nature has not changed but its power has. If it takes 50 gallons of gas to drive from New York City to Albuquerque, you simply are not going to make it on 10 gallons, no matter how you try. Likewise, if your body wants 35,000 mg of vitamin C to fight an infection, 7,000 mg won’t do. The key is to take enough C, take it often enough, and take it long enough.
QUANTITY, FREQUENCY and DURATION are the keys to effective orthomolecular use of vitamin C. So many people hold a philosophical viewpoint such as “I shouldn’t have to take so much of a vitamin.” That’s certainly true; you do not have to. This is America, where everyone has the right to be sick if they want to. But if you want swift recovery, and if you want to use vitamin C, you might just as well use it effectively. What we are interested in is results. High doses of vitamin C get those results as well or better than any broad-spectrum drug on the market. Rather than take what we think the body should require, we take the amount of C that the body says it wants.
The safety of vitamin C is extraordinary. There is not one case of vitamin C toxicity anywhere in the world’s medical literature. There is not one case of vitamin C-caused kidney stone ever proven, and I have been on the lookout for one for over 40 years. Indeed, vitamin C has been used to prevent and cure the formation of kidney stones since William J. McCormick, M.D. used it in 1946 (Medical Record 159:7, p 410-413). 10,000 mg of ascorbic acid per day does not significantly increase urinary excretion of calcium (Linus Pauling Institute Newsletter “Effect of High Intake of Ascorbic Acid on Excretion of Calcium” by Dr. C. Tsao, 2:3, 1983). Daily doses of over 120,000 mg have been used with safety by medical doctors, and guinea pigs have been given the human daily dose equivalent of 500,000 mg without harm. The major side effect of vitamin C overload is an unmistakable several-times-an-hour loose stool. This, or excessive flatulence, indicates absolute saturation, and the daily dose is then dropped to the highest amount that will not bring about loose stool. That is a THERAPEUTIC level. Robert Cathcart, M.D. of California routinely employs high-ascorbic acid therapy with his patients with success (Journal of Orthomolecular Psychiatry, 2nd Quarter, 1981). Frederick R. Klenner, M.D. of North Carolina has seen cures of diphtheria, staph and strep infections, herpes, mumps, spinal meningitis, mononucleosis, shock, viral hepatitis, arthritis and polio using high doses of vitamin C (Journal of Preventive Medicine, Spring, 1974). Dr. Klenner says: “Ascorbic acid is the safest and the most valuable substance available to the physician” and “If you want results, use adequate ascorbic acid.”
If you want to learn more about the therapeutic uses of vitamin C, the following books are recommended:
Vitamin C: The Real Story
By Steve Hickey, Ph.D. and Andrew W. Saul
How To Live Longer and Feel Better
By Linus Pauling, Ph.D.
The Healing Factor: Vitamin C Against Disease
By Irwin Stone
The Vitamin C Connection
By Emanuel Cheraskin, M.D.
Clinical Guide to the Use of Vitamin C
By Lendon H. Smith, M.D.
Frederick R. Klenner, M.D. Vitamin C Resources
Clinical Guide to the Use of Vitamin C
The Clinical Experiences of Frederick R. Klenner, M.D.,
abbreviated, sumarized and annotated by
Lendon H. Smith, M.D.
The Treatment of Poliomyelitis and Other Virus Diseases with Vitamin C
By Fred R. Klenner, M.D., Reidsville, North Carolina
Hidden In Plain Sight: The Pioneering Work Of Frederick Robert Klenner, M.D.
By Andrew W. Saul
Assistant Editor, Journal of Orthomolecular Medicine
Vitamin C & Vaccinations
Andrew Saul, PhD
If children are fed whole food, mostly plant-based diets, with plenty of supplemental vitamin C they will not require shots to stay healthy. They will be healthier without the vaccination. We would do well to remember the examples of the Hunza (in Pakistan) and other truly isolated “primitive” peoples who are so healthy they rarely even have names for diseases that we’re seeking immunizations for. It’s because they don’t have much in the way of disease, period. They have no shots, no free clinics and no filled-in vaccination charts… until they start eating “civilized man’s” foods. When they start into a diet of factory foods, sugar, white flour and processed meat, they promptly contract all the “infectious” diseases.
There is proof. Years ago, Dr. Weston A. Price, a dentist, went around the world to observe primitive peoples and their diet. He saw that simple, natural diet of mostly raw and always natural, whole foods was the common denominator among all healthy, disease-free primitive peoples. His book is Nutrition and Physical Degeneration (1945, revised 1970) and Dr. Royal Lee, another dentist, discusses it:
“In all parts of the globe where the native population had changed from their natural foods to the use of commercial products, there began the infiltration of those dreaded diseases, tuberculosis, pneumonia, and influenza together with a significant rise in diseased teeth exactly parallel to the increase in their use of commercial foods. Caries, pyorrhea, deformities of the dental arch, cleft palate and hairlip were all now present where unknown before. It made no difference whether the change took place in a high valley in the Swiss Alps or in an island of the sea in the Eastern or Western hemisphere. The identically same results followed the introduction of commercial foods of civilized man.”
In the same article, Dr. Lee makes an interesting point about vitamin C in relation to infectious diseases:
“Systematic diseases such as children’s diseases, fevers and all infectious processes exhaust the reserves of vitamin C and often rapid degeneration of the dental structures follow… The slow convalescence from fevers, pneumonia, etc. is mainly due to increased requirement (of vitamin C) which is inadequately supplied at this time in the great majority of cases. If the requirement happens to be greater that the intake for any reason, the patient declines into some fatal outcome such as heart involvement or a new infection is made possible by the low resistance. That is why pneumonia so often recurs several times in one winter in the same patient. It is a tragic fact that no patient is known to die until his reserves of vitamin C are completely exhausted. No vitamin C can be found in any of the tissues of a victim of an infectious disease.”
This should give the parent encouragement towards using vitamin C for treating, or at least preventing children’s diseases.
It is not enough to just say “no” to shots; you must have a viable alternative to affirm. During an illness, we give our kids vitamin C literally every half hour that they’re awake. When very sick, as frequently as every ten minutes. We have found this to be extremely successful. A complete protocol (detailed treatment plan) is contained in Clinical Guide to the Use of Vitamin C (Smith, 1988) and in A Physician’s Handbook on Orthomolecular Medicine, chapter 10 (Williams, 1977).
Which Vitamin C Supplement Is Best?
• How To Pick The Best Liposomal Vitamin C (Plus Risks + Benefits)
• Ascorbate Vs. Ascorbic Acid: Is There A Difference?
• What Is Quali-C Vitamin C And Which Brands To Choose?
• Is Liposomal Vitamin C Really More Absorbable Than Other Supplements?
• Breakthrough Liposomal Technology Takes The Grandfather Of Antioxidants To A Whole New Level Of Comfort And Usability (Mercola)
Recommended Vitamin C
Neutralizing Toxins With Vitamin C
• COVID-19 Healing Resources
• IV Vitamin C Resource Page
• Over 250 Published Studies Documenting the Validity of IVC as a Adjunctive Cancer Care Modality (pdf)
• High Dose Intravenous Vitamin C (IVC) (CancerTutor)
• GrassRootsHealth: Vitamin C
• Vitamin C (GreenMedInfo)
• Vitamin C Treatment For Covid-19 Being Silenced (Mercola)
• Why I’m Removing All Articles Related To Vitamin D, C And Zinc And Covid-19 (Mercola)
• Mercola on Vitamin C
• Science of Vitamin C: Benefits Beyond the Common Cold
• National Institutes of Health: Vitamin C Fact Sheet for Consumers (pdf)
• Dr. Fauci Megadoses Vitamin C, Ivermectin Vs. Vitamin Therapy, And Censoring The Science On Natural Healing (GreenMedInfo – 09/09/21)
• Vitamin C Cuts COVID Deaths By Two-Thirds (Principia Scientific – 10/15/20)
• Michigan Doctor Charged With Felonies For Treating Coronavirus Patients With Vitamin C (Health Impact News – 05/22/20)
• USA Today Smears Mercola Over Vitamin C And D Information (Mercola – 05/18/20)
• Treating Illness with Megadose Vitamin C (Integrative Medical Center – 04/27/20)
• How To Protect Against Coronavirus Now – From Vitamin C To Breathing Exercises (The Sun – 04/09/20)
• Vitamins C And D Finally Adopted As Coronavirus Treatment (Organic Consumers Association – 04/07/20)
• Vitamin C Works for Sepsis. Will It Work for Coronavirus? (Mercola – 02/24/20)
• Covid-19 Severity & Vitamin D Levels (GrassrootsHealth)
• More Vitamin C Studies Approved in China to Fight Coronavirus: Therapy Censored in U.S. (Health Impact News – 02/24/20)
• A Norfolk doctor found a treatment for sepsis. Now he’s trying to get the ICU world to listen. (The Virginian-Pilot – 03/23/17)
• Vitamin C Cures Disease but Doctors and Pharmaceutical Companies Do Not Want You to Know This (Health Impact News – 09/13/15)
• Intravenous Vitamin C Kills Cancer Cells (LewRockwell.com – 09/14/05)
• Vitamin C May Be A Life-Saver (The Independent – 04/23/05)
Our First Hand ICU Story – What is ACTUALLY Killing People In The Hospital